Turning on your Air Conditioner Checklist
Before the summer arrives with its blazing heat, it is always advisable that you have a look at your AC and make sure that it’s working properly. Don’t wait until the summer arrives. If your AC needs some repairs at the last minute, you might have to spend a few days in discomfort.
Here are the steps which you should follow before you turn on your air con:
1. Test your thermostat to make sure that it is giving accurate readings. In case your thermostat has become old, you should consider getting a new programmable thermostat for better energy efficiency.
2. Remove or replace filters: The main purpose of an AC filter is to make sure that the airborne debris doesn’t enter the unit. You should clean the filters as this will ensure maximum efficiency.
3. Check the circuits: Since air conditioners consume a lot of electricity, you have to make sure that the circuit breaker is in good shape before using your AC on a regular basis.
4. Keep an eye on the drain line: The water which collects inside the AC will flow outside through the drain line. Hence, make sure that there are no obstructions in the drain line. Otherwise, the water will collect inside the AC and damage it further.
5. You should also clean the outside air conditioning units like the condenser. They often get damaged because of falling leaves. To make sure that there is no damage, you can clean them with the help of a garden hose. Sometimes birds make nests in outdoor air conditioning units. You can use a flashlight to inspect these areas. If you find twigs inside, carefully remove them.
6. Unblock the vents: In order to ensure an uninterrupted air flow, you should also make sure that there is no furniture blocking the vents.
7. Every AC comes with a life span. Hence no matter how well you maintain your AC, it is not going to last throughout your entire lifetime. If your AC is very old, you should consider replacing it or get your air conditioner serviced. And the newer models are also much more energy efficient. Hence, you will be able to save a lot on your electricity bill as well.
After you are done checking the internal and external units, it’s time to finally switch on the AC.
Step 1: Switch on the AC and the fix the temperature at your desired level.
Step 2: Step outside and make sure that there are no peculiar sounds as such. The air coming out from the exterior of the AC should feel warm.
Step 3: Let the AC run for around 15 minutes. By that time, you should notice that the entire room has become quite comfortable. If it’s taking more time than that, then it implies that something is wrong with your AC and hopefully you don’t need a new installation.
It is advisable that every year you get your AC checked at least once. Air Con in the Sutherland Shire can help you out if you are located in Sydney. For other areas check local directories to find a reputable air conditioning contractor. One last tip: If you want to keep your electricity bills under control, all you have to do is just increase the temperature a bit.